Your nail care kit, the green way!
I really believe that having a professional manicure performed on a regular basis, something like once a month is a great way to keep up the health of your natural nails. And no, I’m not just saying that because it’s my profession, lol! But having at-home kit is not just for those in between appointments, but also good for those money-tight situations and a quick fix for those “change of plans, we going out” times.
First lets start with the basics. Here is a simple list of tools that every good, what I like to call a “3G nail kit” should have:
- straight edge nail clippers (Straight edge is safer than curved and be sure to clip from edge to middle of nail. One pair covers fingers & toes)
- glass or crystal nail file (Protects the layers of the nails)
- cuticle softener (Make sure to choose a less abrasive remover that has Alpha Hydroxy Acids, derivatives from fruits, milks & sugars)
- orangewood sticks for cuticle pushing (please leave the metal to the professionals)
- nail brush
- nail treatments, base and top coats
- cuticle oil (moisturizer, moisturizer, moisturizer. At night before bed is when product works more effectively)
- hand creme ( don’t forgot about SPF, hands are one of the first signs of aging)
Now you might be wondering what I meant by 3G. Well when it comes to my at-home nail kit it’s made with 3 components in mind: Green, Goals & Glam
Green. When it comes to things like cleansers, moisturizer and treatment products, make sure that they are free of chemical preservatives, mineral oils, fragrances and parabens. You want your nail kit filled with products that are plant-based.
Goals. Your nail kit should be tailored to your specific nail needs. For example, if you struggle with dry, brittle nails (mainly due to overexposure to water) your nail treatment product should be addressing that specific issue. Maxus Nails Strengthener is great for weak nail issues. In it are things like hydrating Safflower Oil that balances out proper moisture levels to keep the nails strong yet flexible.
Glam. We’re talking lacquer of course! Choose polish lines that give you a wide range of colors and at the same time being healthier for the nails, free from formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, formaldehyde resin and camphor. Favorite brands like Deborah Lippmann, Zoya and Chanel all meet the criteria.
What’s in your nail care kit? Got any questions as to how I can help you make your kit more green?